Sunday, November 29, 2009

Piracy in Azerbaijan robs popular singer of profits


News.Az interviews popular Azerbaijani singer Azerin.

Our website writes only in English. Will you be able to read your interview in the language of Shakespeare?

I do not think that not knowing English will prevent an artist from properly representing our nation and the peaceful and really democratic policy of our people and state today.

As for Shakespeare, I do not think the translations of the works of the great writer are worse than the original.

Which foreign languages do you speak?

I speak Russian and Turkish and I sing in Italian and French.

You have just got back from Turkey. What can you tell us about your trip?

I have been representing Azerbaijan in many countries for 10 years now. I visit Turkey more frequently and have recently started working with TRT, Turkey's state TV channel, where I have a programme “Azerinle esentiler” ("A Breath of Azerin"). As a channel employee and a singer I spend more time in Turkey. I recently attended the launch of a new channel, TRT Music. I sang a song by Uzeir Hajibayli and Ahmed Javad, Chirpinan Gara Deniz (The Stormy Black Sea). The channel launch ceremony featured five singers - Sezen Aksu, Ajda Pekkan, Kubat, Hanka from Bosnia and me. I had many interesting meetings which made a great impression on me. I received a number of offers from Turkey’s music world.

You have always had a narrow repertoire, compared to other singers. Are you planning to extend it with new songs in future?

I have never had the habit of promoting my songs. My songs are ideologically oriented. As I am rarely heard on radio and television, it may seem that my repertoire is poor. But I hope people who have had the opportunity to attend my solo concerts were satisfied with the variety of music genres. Since 2000 I have released three discs in Baku and earned nothing thanks to pirates. Therefore, I am planning to release the fourth disc in Turkey, as today Turkey is a country that is tackling piracy. I have recently released several songs and I intend to add them to the disc.

We do not often see you at wedding parties, where most of Azerbaijan's popular singers perform. Perhaps you don't like these parties in Azerbaijan or maybe you are not invited?

This is again connected with my principles. I do not think that a wedding is a place where I can perform. I think private events are purely entertainment and I do not see myself there. Though I do not go to wedding parties, I am still invited and I have to make up every possible reason for my refusal in order not to offend people. And this is a tough job for my producer Javid Abidov.

What are you plans?

I hardly have any free time. As for large projects, I cannot talk about anything new as the programmes on TRT take up much of my time. I am also a soloist with the orchestra for Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry troops and I travel to the regions to perform concerts. I do something similar in Turkey with the Turkish armed forces.

What do you think of entertainment programmes on local television channels?

I think artists who deal with serious issues, such as culture and art, should not take part in entertainment programmes. These programmes are show business and have nothing to do with me. I seldom watch any entertainment programmes and only when I see someone I know there.

Source:news.az

No comments:

Post a Comment